Memento

Memento

Materials: Spoon, Sculpey, and Acrylic Paint
Dimensions: 1in x 6in x 3in

In Process


Professional



Artist Statement

Memento is centered around the memory of the first time I fainted. I was in the kitchen alone eating ice cream when all of a sudden everything went black. Then, I woke up on my kitchen floor extremely confused as to what had happened. Once I saw the spoon I had been using on the floor, I understood that I had passed out. 

This piece is meant to convey how I went from a state of darkness to clarity. Therefore, I used sculpey to make the shape into a long oval that sits horizontally in ones hand to represent a body lying on a flat surface. The spoon pops out of the blackness, to emphasize how seeing that particular object allowed me to comprehend the situation. The spoon also creates a reflection, which ties back to the idea of escaping the confusion. 


Research



Comments